Wednesday, 17 June 2009

Big Brother to the rescue

Yesterday I was sent on an errand for our host family; to take the oldest daughter (40 yrs.) and lifelong resident of our town, to the tailor. The errand in itself is quite funny, but not what this blog is about. We are frantically working to get our house ready to move into, so I tried to squeeze the errand in before Elli's nap. I asked the family to watch my kids while I was gone; seeing as I was helping them out by going. Austin left to work on house stuff soon after I did. He convinced them to lock the gate, so Elli wouldn't escape down the street.

I came home (after a very defeated errand) to find no adults around, a very scared Elli and overwhelmed Ethan. Apparently while I was gone, Elli fell into the full rushing juey (ditch).

Our family usually has the ditch covered, but for some reason the cover was off. Ethan tells the story that Elli fell into the juey and he saw her. He and Baktavar (his 8 year old buddy of almost equal weight and size) grabbed her hands and pulled her out. By the time I got home, her clothes that had been covered in black sludge, where changed and she was sitting hugging her puppy. She wouldn't let me put her down for her nap, I had to rock her to sleep before I could lay her in her crib.


There is no way to explain her safety other than the watch care of God. The juey was really full yesterday, well over her head. The current was quite strong and easily could have pulled her downstream, under the driveway into someone else's yard. I hugged this little girl so tight this morning when she woke up and praised God for her life. She came out of the event with only a scratched nose and eyebrow and it is all to His glory.

I have also resolved that I won't be leaving my kiddos alone again.





3 comments:

Megs said...

oh jenni! i can only imagine! praise god for your safe little ones.

Erika said...

wow. I am thanking Him right now for His protection. He really is good. I'm so sorry you had to go through that!

Priscilla Sapp said...

Thanking Him with you! This reminds me of you and the food poisoning and Nate and the swimming pool in India and the cars in Hong Kong as he reached for his ticket in the road. There is nothing like knowing His protection at times like these. We can do nothing without him.