Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Our first national party!

I usually love posting and can't wait to get my pictures and current stories online. But the reality that I will NEVER be able to capture the fullness of this day has kept me from getting it posted. So I'll try, but you just have to experience a local party first hand to fully experience it.

Wednesday night one of the gals from our homestay showed up and informed us the women of the family had been talking and thought we should host a party before the electricity started going out and things got really cold. Our possible days for the party were either Thursday (Thanksgiving) or Friday. After a little time for consideration, we convinced them Monday would be a better option for us.

Saturday evening, after I had taken an initial "party shop" at the bazaar, I called Kaleen to check and make sure she was coming on Sunday to help me prepare for the big party Monday. "How many people are coming" I asked. Only 10, I was assured. Not even 10 minutes after our conversation, she called back to tell me that an Aunt was having a Talbak (bride viewing party) on Monday and I should have my party on another day. Sunday (less than a day later) was my only option.

So Sunday, around 1 p.m., over 20 women and 10 kids showed up at our house for an all out party. T, Kaleen and I worked hard all day long with most of the guests leaving around 6 p.m. Austin, with no for warning, was in charge of building the fire pit and keeping the fire roaring. Bobo and Kaleen's husband came for supper; at which point it's appropriate to warm up the Ash from lunch. And while the men ate, the kids played, we had 2 people showering. There were points of the day it truly felt like a circus. But it was also one of those days were His grace was evident and very sufficient. I'm hoping having our "obligatory party" will yield a much more culturally laid back week when our friends from America come to visit.




5 comments:

Priscilla Sapp said...

Your party looked like so much fun! Wish we could have been there to help. I know your friends had fun. We were remembering you and love seeing the pics. We know you were tired but know it was a good tired. Much love, Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are settling into life (even though I'm sure there are many struggles). I 'hear' peace coming from your words (?). I love your pictures and I love 'being there' with you in thought and heart. Blessings my friends!

Jessica said...

WOW! You did great, Jenni! I'm so proud of you. Wish I could have been there for the circus.

Les said...

Amazing!!

Hope said...

i love it!