Monday, 19 December 2011

Enjoying the special treats

Disclaimer: I wrote this several weeks ago, but for some reason it got lost in "time" and was posted back in April 2011.  I found it and thought I'd move it more current!

It's really a change in a deeply ingrained life strategy.  I'm not an extreme hoarder, but I definitely struggle to use up the things that are special, for fear that when they run out . . . then what will we have.  It's been a process of conviction really.  First, it was E and J's phrase and lifestyle "use the best first and you'll always have the best."  Which in the logistics of it is true; use the imported powdered sugar and when it's gone, you'll have the other option which is now the best available.  But it even reaches to a deeper level of contentment.  Enjoy it now, contented, and trust that what I have later I can also be content with.

"1000 Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are" gave fullness to the concept of contentment and deepened the conviction in my heart that I wasn't entering fully into the now and trusting Him with the tomorrow.  Seems silly that such matters of the heart surface over things like peanut butter, powdered sugar, sweet potatoes and black beans.  I know the issues of contentment don't end there, but that is a practical place I'm seeking to push back and believe Him; enjoy Him.  And with the bounty that all our visiting friends brought (more special treats than we could have asked for) it would truly be gluttony to not.

So we're using them, pulling them out of our black pantry trunks and enjoying His little gifts of grace now.  Rather than hoarding them for a really bad day; which when I examine my heart means I'm trusting that bag of Recee's Peanut Butter cups to carry me on bad days instead of Jesus.  That somehow on that day, His generosity will have run out; His grace been exhausted is not Truth.   

Peanut Butter Balls . . . a luscious Christmas confection.  And we made them together out of all imported ingredients.  One of the best parts was watching Stephanie's how to video on the Joy of Baking with Elli. I didn't know it would transform our cooking experience.  We can struggle to work together in the kitchen.  But Elli had seen the video and knew the directions.  And we had a blast making them together; many times her quick to remind me or educate Ethan (who didn't get to see the cooking movie) of the next step.  We may cook together, via the internet, more often!  

 Guilty of snitching as we cook
 All of us were guilty!
 The peanut butter balls didn't turn out as picture perfect as I remember Sandie Anderson's being, but you can tell we all enjoyed making them!

And then this recipe is too good not to share.  We had the special treat of sweet potatoes (sold once a year in the capitol) bought for us and delivered by a friend.  Combined with the bag of black beans that made it in our shipment, this is such a yummy soup.  It's very flavorful (Elli didn't love it) and honestly gets better the next day.  I hope you try it and enjoy it!

Black Bean Soup with Sweet Potatoes
2T. oil
2 medium yellow onions
3 medium cloves garlic, chipped
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin
1/4t aniseed
2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
4 15 1/2 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium dice
plain yogurt and lime for garnish


It is pretty self-explanatory recipe.  Saute the onions until soft.  Then add all the spices and sautee briefly.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender.  Blend all but 3 cups of the soup, combining the blended and non-blended to serve.  So tasty!

6 comments:

Priscilla Sapp said...

So glad that you are enjoying the stash! Would love to lick the pans with the rest of the family! Cooking together - what fun!

David said...

Great post. I always enjoyed making and eating peanut butter balls with dad when I was a wee tad.

TheHappyNeills said...

I'll try the soup for sure! I love finding new soup recipes, bean recipes, and ways to use sweet potatoes. . . all in one this time--yay! :) love you guys!

Pete said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vik said...

Hey! wow, your words hit home with me in regards to *hoarding* imported items! I'm trying to not be selfish (hiding the candy corn on the top shelf so i don't have to share them with the kids). yep i'm guilty of that. thanks for sharing. hope you have a merry christmas!!!

p.s. the comment from pete above was deleted by me cause it signed in with his account!

Mendy said...

Jenni - good thoughts and yummmm, does that black bean and sweet potato recipe sound amazing. I love sweet potatoes in savory dishes. Thanks for sharing!