Monday, 28 November 2011

Our Thanksgiving

We had a good Thanksgiving, celebrating with 2 other American families and Ethan's new teacher (YEAH!!!) that live in town.  We had lots of yummy treats, complete with paper plates, canned cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes that our friends from Arkansas brought out to us.  That was a wonderful blessing, just being able to throw the dishes away!

We started the holiday festivities with soup together on Wednesday night.  When your English speaking relationships are limited to such a few number, you inherit a lot of things from one another; sometimes one another's traditions.  We shared pots of chili, potato and pasta fagioli soup.  I was delegated the "inspiration" soup (which is fun for me!)  I learned how to make my own Italian Sausage, using ground beef, and was happy with how the frozen zucchini from our garden turned out!  I also made some Spiced Pumpkin Bars (with cream cheese we found in the capitol in October and I've been saving for a special occasion!) and Peppermint Patty Brownies.



 One of my delegated dinner elements was the dinner rolls.  I guess you could say I love the Wilton Silicone muffin "cups."  I think I made over 45 rolls!
 E and J found a Turkey in the capitol; not the traditionally large American bird, but we all enjoyed slices.  Austin got deemed the carver.
 A highlight for our family was watching the K-State vs. Texas A&M game.  The sound didn't download the best, it just required some fidgeting, and we didn't have K-State's last possession of the game, but it sure felt like a true Thanksgiving, getting to watch some good football!
We all really missed family this Thanksgiving.  In the course of Thanksgiving week, I think we skyped or called family at least 5 or 6 times.  Having recently been back, it's hard to know a new what you are missing out on!  We are so blessed to have the family He has given us; both there and here!

1 comment:

Priscilla Sapp said...

So fun to see all the good food you made and shared and even having football! You are pros! You were missed here too! Grateful for the provision of family there and here. We are grateful for the roles you all play in both!