Thanks to all for praying for our power. I was finishing up preparations for our Christmas Eve dinner when we had a knock at the door. 2 electricians from the electric department were there to check on our second line. After calling our landlord daily for almost a week, I was starting to doubt that anything would happen. That morning the thought crossed my mind "What if they did come in time for Christmas?" Rather than my far to "usual" response of dismissing it, I chose to surrender it to Jesus. "If they come or not, You are still good. You are still enough."
Once I realized who was at the gate, I started praying out loud from my kitchen window. Blessings on their hands, their work, their families. That they would come in the cold at the end of their long day, to help me. Gratitude spilled over.
My poor kids were all geared up to open presents. And it was put on hold. I assured them that waiting would be worth it and it wouldn't take long. The problem wasn't directly on our roof. Austin walked with them, following the line down the road to where it was corroded. They made a quick fix, but explained the line will need to be replaced. Not long after Austin came into the kitchen to explain we were on the second line and it was working! Oh the joyful dancing that broke out in the kitchen . . . on my part. He's more the reserved realist. It won't last all winter, it will need replaced. But for now, we've had power all night long since Monday.
Christmas morning we had a great call with my parents and then a leisurely breakfast. I was sitting in my rocking chair putting Zeke down for his nap, at 10 a.m., when the power went off for the day. I can't explain the joy that filled my heart. For weeks the power has gone off at 8 a.m., on the dot. Yet Christmas morning, while still on our normal line of power, we had it 2 extra hours. 2 extra hours to open stockings with lights on. Extra hours so I could take a shower with water and electricity at the same time (cause we do shower by headlamp if the water is on!). 2 extra hours of sheer Grace!
And in a place where no one acknowledges His birthday, I know it wasn't on behalf of my celebration. It wasn't cause someone decided to be nice. It was because the gracious hand of the Almighty Father, saw a mama's frail heart and poured out grace. I could almost feel His smile over me.
That night as we prayed together as a family, we celebrated that with lights or without them; with all the fun holiday food or without it . . .the best part of Christmas is that He came to be with us. And He has not left us alone.
3 comments:
I really do appreciate your coming back to blogging! I am Pat's wife, from River, if you don't remember me. We are preparing to go to Africa for a couple years or so and though the weather will be different, I am encouraged to hear how you press into Jesus when the lights go out (I know this will happen), while knowing you have the Light of the World with you. Merry Christmas.
i love you. so thankful. praying.
Grateful for the way you see good in things large and small, easy and difficult. It is a great gift! We did our own jig hearing you had your 2nd line fixed.
Post a Comment