I was so excited for a year off of the pressured birthday cake. I had in my mind to order an ice cream cake while we had air conditioning to keep it from melting. Unfortunately every purchasable ice cream cake starts with a chocolate cake or cookie crumb base. For a boy that doesn't like chocolate that wasn't an option. So this year too I researched and made the cake. It was really yummy, but I have a long ways to go on decorating with cool whip frosting. So we opted for a "Lego Space Cake" topper! He was thrilled.
We used some of Elli's accumulated Christmas money for a trike from Aldi's.
The first attempt without training wheels. We're not quite ready for that yet, but like everything in our family . . . it's always a whole family affair! I captured the "release." Love Ethan's focused face and Elli's proud and camera aware scamper!
I found a box of random Legos at a garage sale and Ethan keeps building. I had to show off his continually growing/changing creativity. He made this spaceship all with his own imagination!
This year my birthday was full of surprises! Laurie and Jess came into town to kidnap me for the afternoon. 3 moms with no kids yielded a precious afternoon full of lots of laughing, heart sharing, and reminiscing. My folks surprised me by coming into town to take our family out for breakfast together. Falling on the 4th of July weekend, the birthday celebrations ended with a MASSIVE fireworks display on the lawn of a church in Arkansas. Ethan loved it, Elli covered her ears the whole time pleading for it to stop!
In July we also traveled to 2 different conference. Both provided great times for reflection and remembering all we've seen and experienced the last 3+ years. We had great times reconnecting with dear friends at both retreats!
For those that love the excessive photo's . . . Here's all the pictures from Ethan's birthday!
![]() |
| Ethan's 5th Birthday |

2 comments:
I think Ethan has inherited his Daddy's engineering mind! That is an awesome lego creation!!
totally agree with the above comment! that's SO impressive for a 5 yr old!!! it thought calvin was pretty ordered, methodical, detailed, etc. but this is just amazing really! go ethan!
and i LOVE his expression in that pic! the whole pic looks like it belongs in a magazine or something! what a great shot.
Post a Comment