Thursday, 9 July 2009

Birthday Celebrations

A little post-dated, but I wanted to share some of the highlights of the big 30 birthday bash! The plans kept changing, so it didn't turn out quite like I was expecting. First we were planning on traveling to the capitol on my birthday. For reasons I can't remember now, that fell through and so did the hopes of authentic Indian food or a juicy steak dinner. Our national family was thrilled as I share the same birthday as their now one year old. So the plan quickly became to do a full "ash" like we did for Austin's birthday to celebrate both of our birthdays. But Parinoz (the 1 year old) was in the hospital for 5 nights having an acupuncture procedure done on her eyes to help them water when crying. (I don't understand the medical practices here and don't ever want to experience them). So sadly the Ash plans fell through and the entire family forgot it was my birthday until Austin reminded them the next day.

I prepared some treats just incase any of my other neighbors came by for a birthday visit. Ethan kept asking when they were going to come for the party and was equally as bummed when no one came.

I received a plethora of very encouraging birthday emails and facebook wall postings. Thank you so much for making me feel special and remembered. By that point in the day it sounded great to be back in America with people who "remembered."

But after Elli woke up from her morning nap, things took a turn. Austin started the "let's give mommy her gifts" process that went on and off throughout the rest of the day; fun little treats like a can of Diet Coke and a Snickers candy bar (an ironic combination).

We had a great family lunch at a local restaurant that is set up with little individual family rooms and serve excellent lamb kebabs and "shish-link."


We then joined our foreign friends for a tour of the "Old" outskirts of our town. All 4 boys came with their own gun and ran through the ruins while we hiked with our friends and their visitors. I wish you could see all the mountains that surround us, but as you can tell, Ethan loved the "guns and raiding" part of the day.

Elli too enjoyed being outside. And just for posterity's sake, her hair is blowing in the wind! :)

We went back to E&J's house for fried chicken, mashed potatoes, watermelon and goey brownies from a hand carried imported brownie mix. They are a family that loves to celebrate, so it was special to celebrate with them. It was a great end to the day. And then the day was over and I was officially 30. For all the hype that it gets, it didn't feel all that different. But by the day's close I had been thoroughly reminded of how blessed I am to have the friends and family He has given me. They're worth celebrating!

3 comments:

Erika said...

I wish I could have hugged you tight on your birthday!! I must say that table layout looks incredibly "ethnic". Great job!

Priscilla Sapp said...

Love you Jenni!! You know we all would have been there if we could! Missing you!!

Unknown said...

Hi Jenni, Happy belated B-day! I am so glad to have your Mom and Dad with us for a few days...so we are catching up with your news. I now have your blog on my bookmarks for daily viewing! Love you so much Aunt Cheryl