Saturday, 30 May 2009

The "Kiek" Kick

It’s official! We are fighting serious “kiek” (flea) infestation. Last night as I lay in bed pestered by the little guys crawling and biting on me I listened to my kids toss and turn, Elli at times crying out. They weren’t tossing because they were restless. In their sleep they were trying to kick the “kiek” off. Apparently “kiek” is a common problem, regardless of if you have animals or not. They are some form of wood flea. So we have started sunning our floor pillows and foam mattress at least weekly, to help pull the fleas out. On one arm alone, I counted over 20 flea bites. I’m currently hauling our laundry on the small taxi vans to do it in Janel’s washing machine. And when I pulled the laundry out yesterday, I found at least 10 fleas, several of which were still living. After a full washing/rinsing/spinning cycle!

So today I did some internet research for home remedies to kick this problem, as the sunning doesn’t seem to be working. And I discovered salt, rubbed into the carpet, and laid under our bed sheets is supposed to help. So I’ve salted our bedroom and will see if this helps us kick the “kiek.” If you know of any other remedies, please share!

1 comment:

Priscilla Sapp said...

Hope the salt works. Wish I could send family friendly insect repellent for the kids. We continue to think of you.