Tuesday, 5 May 2009

We're all sick

Not even 2 weeks into our home stay and we are all sick in some form or another. All of our tummies are showing signs of the runs, probably from the yummy soft serve ice cream we’ve been enjoying from the corner shop (but that is for another blog). And then I and the kids all have awful colds/coughs. I’ve been given a smattering of reasons why we are all sick, the most interesting one being that my children have a cold because I gave them a bath.



Out of genuine concern the women of the family have provided us with several home remedies.

Today, Kaleen made another batch of nan, this time with milk and oil in the batch instead of just water. With the still smoldering ashes and some dried grass, she made something for me to deeply inhale and clear my head. The results are yet to be seen.


For Austin’s queasy tummy it was a strong black sugar tea using this whole special sugar cube and dried pomegranate peels. He was instructed to drink the entire pot, though I think he only managed to down a mug of it. The family was happy to hear that it had worked and Austin was feeling better. Unfortunately I don’t have the language enough to explain “Imodium,” so we’ll let the tea take all the credit.

No comments: