Dinner we share with the family, but breakfast and lunch we are free to eat as just our family. So that means we can also eat things are tummies are more familiar with. Yet, without refrigeration, our options are limited. Today, I made grilled cheese sandwiches on nan. There is quite the assortment of smoked Russian cheeses, so we are in a sampling stage. All four children, neice and Kaleen watched in amazement as I made something they had never seen, using their nan. I gave them a large sandwich to sample, and they had it eaten before I could get my camera.
The happy plate.
Several hours later I was beckoned to the kitchen, anticipating to start on my Ash pilau lessons. Rather, Kaleen wanted me to show her how I had made the bread. She said her children loved it and had been begging her to make more. I asked if she had cheese, "no, but it will be delicious without cheese." So I showed her how to butter and grill her bread and the children happily enjoyed it. And as the day progressed I learned how to make pilau. And learning here really looks like doing. She would give me an instruction, and I would do it. So tonight's dinner was my first attempt at pilau. And it turned out okay!
1 comment:
Wish I was learning how to cook pilau right there beside you! Yum!! And how fun to hear about the grilled nan sandwiches! You seem to be doing much better. Hope all are well.
Post a Comment