Party preparations began the day before with a trip to the bazaar to purchase over 30 items. Merenges, the 10 year old girl, came with me to make sure I got the right things. She was so excited for this honored position and made sure to express her opinion on the quality of meat, fruit and candy that we purchased! Since the foreigner was buying. Several people in the bazaar asked why her language was so good when her mother couldn’t speak as well. She clarified that I wasn’t her mother but just a relative.
Then on his actual birthday, we started cooking by
This is the woman’s table. We had to sit seperatly as there wasn’t a room big enough for all of us.
The second course is a sour soup that is made from “chaka” (which we have yet to fully identify how it is made) and some mountain leaves only found in the spring. Definitely a stretch on our taste buds and not
Before all the men arrived our Grandma and a 74 year old neighbor had their fun giving
And the Grandma’s were fully aware of how they had made him blush. Actually they were quite pleased with themselves.
Here are some of the guests in attendance. Once everything got busy with hosting, I wasn't able to get a picture of all the women in attendance. But there were quite a few more than this picture captured.
I told Kaleen that I would make Austin's birthday cake. She was quite concerned that it wouldn't be a "real cake" but I assured her she would like it. Without Austin knowing, I organized with the corner store that has a small soft serve ice cream machine to have 30 plastic cup servings of ice cream ready. I told them I would pick them up around 7 p.m. The kids were extatic about the ice cream, calling it "Eid-e-Arif" as they have ice cream for weddings and Eid. The adults weren't quite sure what to think of the white ream atop their cake.
All the guests finally left around 11 p.m. after we had eaten, talked, and even danced. Then it was clean-up. With 2 tables covered in a plethora of little plates, I was up midnight washing dishes with Kaleen and Fazula. All in all a fun memory. Cause you only turn 30 once!
3 comments:
happy late birthday Austin! i don't know anyone that has had as interesting a 30th birthday celebration!
What a special memory!! Bet Austin won't forget his 30th!
Okay, can I just say that sounds EXHAUSTING! But very special and memorable.
Post a Comment